Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Proposal

I have decided to try to do some work a little more spontaneously. I have lots of ideas for work, and sometimes it is easy to overanalyse and plan things, when really the idea should be followed through in order to move further in questioning. Experiments are necessary. I am working on something like this right now.

This work involves my installtion class, not because I HAVE to do it for them, but because I really find the group pretty fascinating.

I am writing an intimate letter to each of them, even though I barely know most of them. In each of these letters I will say how I feel towards and percieve them, as well as write anything I would like to say to them, but will more than likely never say. Then I will cut them into individual words and send out the letters to each of them. It is up to them what they do with them, they may or may not try to piece it together. Even if they try they should never be able to put it back to it's original state and read the message in its entirety, but they may decode some of it,and some of it may not be anything like what I had written. A sort of puzzle.

Isolated words lose their context, without this they revert back to triggers for memory and signs. For example, if I see the word pumpkin I think of what I, personally, would usually think of / associate with the word pumpkin. It reverts back to how it relates as a sign and trigger to my consciousness, not how it relates when placed in a sequence. Our own assumptions colour our idea of what we imagine the context to be and makes it more difficult to determine the context in which they were used in the letter.

This piece is about the inadequecies of language, and how interpretable our subjective experience is, especially in terms of communication. This will be written in the spirit of honesty, curiosity and passion, but recognizes (and dialogues with) the existing social filters that prevent us persuing communication this open in person. I will keep a copy of each.

(Also, check out the Mail Art List)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home