Thursday, October 05, 2006

Vessels; a gathering space

This is just one of the felted vessels I have been working on over the past few days. I have been thinking a lot about space and emptiness thanks to my architecture and Craft class. I wanted to make some small gathering spaces that could also be held. Contact with craft objects is important. They are not meant to just look at, they are functional, sensual, active objects that are meant to be used in some way. This is what keeps craft objects alive. The act of holding a vessel like this is grounding, its a sensual link to the physical world. I like to think that they encourage contemplation, a gathering together of thoughts to peer into; to question and gain insight.

As I make a vessel I focus on someone I know, hopeing they may make their way to that person and be accepted. While I made this vessel I was thinking of a friend from school who I think is a lovely person and I have learned from. The fleeced used was unbleached wool, a blend of wool and silk, and a bit of flame coloured sliver.


The card above is stamped with my craft "logo", I guess you could say, a cross section of an apple. Which is an important symbol for me personally. This same shape comes up in nature again and again.
The core shape as I like to call it, can be seen in the magnetosphere, oort clouds, and other things even closer to home.



Oort cloud and Magnetosphere

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Felted Bowls are really beautiful.I love how you think of a person for each bowl.Interesting, I love it.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home