Friday, November 03, 2006

Work best working random

Outside:
I've been taking a lot of photos of screens lately, tv screens, window screens, computer screens. This might lead to an interesting installation, evenutally. Right now I'm just in the experimentation stage using my digital camera. I've also been taking a lot of images and video out my window. Which could end up being an interesting collection of visuals and audio captured at that in between point. I'll try to post quite of few of the bits here.


I have also been thinking (and searching for images, if any of you out there have any) about seeds and seed structures. This electron microscope image of hexagonal architecture of the seed led me to start playing with prototypes made of coffee filters. I plan on finishing this large sphere tonight, hopefully. (I just need to save a few for coffee tomorrow or I'll be pissed.) It also turns out that it is mathematically impossible to create a spherical tesselation with just hexagons, you must you pentagons too. I looked up images from nature just to be sure, don't believe me, look at this Antarctic krill eye.












Stage 1:

Stage 2: At this point they are starting to get a little out of hand. It's been quick to put together so far with staples, but if I were to make something more permanent it would have to be sealed together properly. I also thought of making textiles based on this experiment, and so I think I may integrate the hyperbolic, lichen-type shapes I've been crocheting into a colony like textile. It's exciting!

I've been doing all sorts of fun tests and experiments, including pulling out the waves of fabric in bath puffs and dreaming about recontextualizing them, I love the mesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home