Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Wools

Nova Scotia Sea Shell
June Sky
Kelp forest

Earthen

Nacre


This and the last post are featuring some of my first handspun. I was on a real handspinning kick last semester, so before I weave this into cloth I thought I'd document it and post it for everyone to have a peek. Some of this was done on a spinning wheel and some on the drop spindle. Most of the handspun I make is spun with a drop spindle, but for two weeks last semester I rented a spinning wheel and spun, spun, spun. I play with colour and fibre combinations and varied the thickness of the thread in more than a few. I like making chunky yarns on the spinning wheel, and plying too (spining more than one thread together). The drop spindle is better for finer singles.

I have a few more and some balls of yarn, but that will have to be another post some time later.

I feel like I have so many things I am behind in documenting. A lot of my work is transient or transforms through a series of stages. Some of it gets left on the street. Some of it is all about the process. I am planning an installation piece right now, and it's especially tricky to document because its time based.

Well, whatever documentation I eventually get I'll post on here, so more to come.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home